Monday, December 21, 2009

Quality Execuive shirts ? Good brand/ material/ washing instructions...?

I am a manager and need to be highly presentable at all times. My tumble drying washing machine often fades my color shirts or leaves the collar crumpled. Most of my shirts are cotton and take a long time to iron. Can anyone suggest a good brand of shirts that take washing well and still retain their form? Should I change the material of my shirts ( away from cotton)? Is it the high washing temperature or the tumble dryer? Quality Execuive shirts ? Good brand/ material/ washing instructions...?
If your shirts are anything like mine it is both the way you are washing them and drying them that is making them hard to iron and fade.


Firstly always use a good detergent for colours - like woolite colour or dreft and always use fabric conditioner but just the right measure not too much. I wash my shirts on the minimum iron cycle at 50'C but I reduce the spin down to 400rpm. The minimum iron cycle is designed for poly-cotton mixed fabrics that crease so easily in washing but does work really well with difficult cotton shirts aswell. 50'C is normally the max. temp for poly-cotton and I find this temperature does make sure my work shirts are spotless (especially at collar). By reducing the spin you are reducing the creases you put into the fabrics when washing. As soon as the cycle is finished take the shirts out from the drum straight away as they will crease each other being left to pile ontop of each other. I put mine straight onto hangers and hang them on the shower rail over the bath overnight. (Make sure you use good hangers that won't stain mark the fabric).They will drip a little but this ';drip dry'; seems to remove the creases making ironing so much easier. If I can't be there to remove them from the drum the minute it finishes I put the rinse hold on and when I come back I then spin them at 400rpm. I also have special hooks for the washing line that fix hangers to the washing line (from Lakeland) so I can put them outside when the weather is nice. Tumble drying them can cause a lot of problems if you are not careful - if you tumble more than just 2-3 at atime on their own they will get very creased, if you put them in too long or set the sensor for extra dry then they will be difficult to iron, the tumbling also fluffs up the pile of the fabric and stops your shirts looking as sharp and if you don't grab them from the dryer the second they finish they crease each other. In my experience you get far superior results by drying them on hangers after just a short spin (400rpm).





Follow this and you will find practically any shirt will be fine. If you want to change your range of shirts regularly then you won't go wrong with the non-iron shirts from Next (but still iron them!) for shirts that I want to keep for long time I buy YSL. But to be honest very cheap ones (Primark!!) also wash up very well following this routine.Quality Execuive shirts ? Good brand/ material/ washing instructions...?
I asked this question? Which washing powder / fabric conditioner would you recommend? Report Abuse

Land's End (mail order) men's shirts really can't be beat for quality and value, and their customer satisfaction rating is top notch. They carry cotton as well as nice cotton blends, and many require little or no ironing. As for your laundering problems, before you blame the machine, check your proceedure--follow the label instructions and try reading the booklet that came with the machine. I think the most common screw-ups are using overly hot water or overly hot dryer temps, under- or overfilling machines, and not using bleach properly. Hot water and household bleach can actually SET stains! As for the ironing--don't feel bad; I know folks who don't buy anything that must be ironed--I can only suggest you bribe a friend who does iron......
Firstly definitely DO NOT tumble dry your shirts, as the heat will badly affect the stiffening in the collar. For coloured shirts use a good brand washing powder specifically for coloured washing. If you can afford it dry cleaning is the best option as not only will the colour not fade, the collars will be perfect and ironing wont be an issue.





Good luck


Emerald
It's not the DRIER that's fading your shirts.





If you can afford it, you might get them dry-cleaned.





Or, just don't use bleach, and obey all the washing and drying instructions.





Yes, cotton wrinkles. You might try a blend of cotton and plastic fabrics (they aren't called that).





For the collars, you need to use starch.
I like Van Heusen. They have affordable shirts that stay nice and a lot of them are wrinkle free.

No comments:

Post a Comment